gadgets

Monday, April 12, 2010

Motorcycles and Coasters

I love bikes. If it's on two wheels and moves forward, I love it. I loved riding my bike as a kid and even now I wish that I had a bicycle to ride on nice sunny days.

I also love speed.
Which means that I love motorcycles. All of them. Cruisers. Sport bikes. Mopeds. My love began when my dad got a bike a few years back. Till that time I had never been on a motorcycle. Then I went out a few times with a  guy for a week or two just because he rode a bike. I knew a woman who, in her younger years, had owned a Harley and had driven cross country with other riders. I knew then that I wanted a bike of my own for my husband and I to ride. Papa Baer has a bike. A very nice, beautiful, lovely bike. 

This past Saturday was absolutely gorgeous and guess what, Papa Baer took yours truly for a ride. While on this ride, I figured out why I love riding so much. To me, riding a bike is similar to riding a roller coaster. I realized this when we came upon a HUGE hill. Just like a coaster, you can tell when the big drop is coming before you get there and although for me, there was no big rise before the drop like there would have been on a roller coaster, the thrill for the hill grew as we got closer. As we cleared  the hill I was already thinking about how exciting it would be go back up. And just as your stomach knots up when you are slowly chugging up a rise, my stomach was in knots flipping and turning with excitement. It was a delightful experience.

Ps. For the thrilling roller coaster feel, hills are optional because even when the bike shifts gears you get similar internal sensations.

Do you love bikes as much as I do?

No comments: