gadgets

Monday, October 19, 2009

Introduction




For the last two weeks I have been job hunting. Everyday I get up, get dressed, and sit at the computer. I'm there for 5 or 6 hours a day. Occasionally I get up to perform necessary human functions, but for the most part I just sit, stare, and type. So, as I sat down this morning, dreading the boring and repetitious week ahead I thought, I want to start a blog. I was thinking of the blogs that I enjoy reading and of those that create them. Why do I spend my time reading the thoughts of others? It's because their thoughts and their lives are profound, inspirational, and heartwarming. I learn from them. If the thoughts and experiences of others can help and benefit me, then mine can help someone else. See, if I were to blog, then my thoughts and the thoughts of people smarter than me would be much better heard.

My two cents....

I've been thinking about lying and what it does to our spirits when we lie and are lied to. The philosopher Immanuel Kant believed that lying corrupts the most important quality of my being human: my ability to make free, rational choices. Each lie I tell contradicts the part of me that gives me moral worth. Second, my lies rob others of their freedom to choose rationally. When my lie leads people to decide other than they would had they known the truth, I have harmed their human dignity and autonomy. Kant believed that to value ourselves and others as ends instead of means, we have duties to avoid damaging, interfering with, or misusing the ability to make free decisions; in other words - no lying. Lying is not worth it. It never was and it never will be.
On a slightly more positive note, have you ever heard of a Nor'easter? Well, I experienced my first one this weekend. A nor'easter is nothing more than a very long, wet storm. They can last up to 3 days, often causing floods and hurricane like winds. Compared to Kennewick, a city that receives on average 7 inches of precipitation in an entire year, getting 7 inches in 3 days is a bit mind boggling. But the rain and the leaves are coming down and fall is here. It is quickly becoming my new favorite season. I have never experienced the colors like this before.

2 comments:

Ryan Thomas Barnhart said...

Kant? I'm curious about your experience with Kant. Where did you first read about him? How much have you read? Thank you for your two cents.

Kim said...

I'm sooo glad you came by today. You made my day!!!! I want to go to lunch or do something soon. I love you. I loved reading your blog. You're becoming all that I hoped you would.